The Meadows became the first casino to open in southwestern Pennsylvania. In doing so, it faced widespread misconceptions about the gaming industry, as well as challenges from local residents, special interests and gaming opponents that threatened revenue streams.
La Torre Communications devised a comprehensive media campaign to introduce the revamped Meadows to area residents, emphasizing the positive economic development effects it would have in the community. The strategy:
- Countered local opposition with an aggressive plan to promote positive impacts of new casino.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Casino seen as a ‘win-win’
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Meadows casino to keep customers coming
- Designed and executed popular grand openings for the initial temporary casino, permanent casino and table games introduction.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Meadows casino trial run goes well
- ABC 4: Meadows casino hits jackpot on grand opening
- Conducted media tour with southwestern print, television and radio outlets to promote legislation to expand table games.
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Table games in Pa. would narrow budget deficit
- Pittsburgh Business Times: Pa. casinos balk at proposed fees, tax rates
- Devised communications strategies on sensitive industry issues, such as smoking, problem gaming and theft.
- ABC 4: Meadows tries to thwart table games cheats with smart chips
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: ‘Smart’ chips up the ante of security
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Legislature still no closer to enacting smoking ban
- Earned frequent media coverage of Meadows’ charity, entertainment and community events.
- ABC 4: Meadows Racetrack & Casino holds blood drive
- Washington Observer-Reporter: 2K Thanksgiving turkeys campaign sets record
With an aggressive communications plan, La Torre Communications developed earned media exposure totaling more than 20 million viewers and readers. In doing so, we successfully diminished misconceptions and positioned The Meadows as a vital community member.